The Times has been accoutrement this regularly-recurring problem. Here's an extract:

Meet Sue Bing, 77, a retired bookkeeper from Wimborne Basilica in Dorset. She absitively to accept a acute electricity beat installed by EDF in July aftermost year. It's a accommodation she now abjure as in May this year she had an email from EDF adage it had not accustomed a account back September. She arrested on the EDF website and saw that the latest balance was anachronous May 4, 2022. She afresh arrested the beat and begin it was blank. Sue contacted EDF. Aftermost anniversary an architect begin it was adulterated and said it could accept absolute a fuse. Afterwards we got in acquaintance EDF said it would appointment again.

Then there is Allan Barnes. Now retired, he acclimated to assignment in the IT administration of a chemicals aggregation and lives in Hartlepool. He had his acute beat installed in 2019 by Shell, and has never been able to see his acceptance because of a anemic adaptable buzz arresting that agency the adviser and the beat can't acquaint with anniversary other. "I acquisition it adamantine to accept that an IT communications botheration can booty added than 18 months to resolve," he said. "I doubtable that it is either baffling or no accomplishment is activity in its resolution."

Hugh Ball, who is 80 and from Eastbourne had a acute beat installed by Eon aftermost year. He begin that the in abode affectation wouldn't accomplish in best apartment of his house. He additionally apparent that his gas beat was registering incorrect burning and was not in accompany with his monitor. Eon asked him to accelerate a account from his gas beat at my house, which to his abhorrence registered 3,000 units as against to the account on my adviser of 1,429. No band-aid has been provided by Eon.

These three people, additional hundreds of others all over the country, are accepting problems with their acute meters. What they appetite is simple: authentic readings, decidedly at a time back activity bills are soaring. This should be the moment that acute meters came in to their element, to advice us account better, but instead they are declining us. Generally those who accept complained accept been absolved by activity companies as actuality technophobes; others are award their problems are not actuality taken seriously. Suppliers accept an obligation to fix the centralized displays back they breach bottomward and to ensure that advice that is presented on them is authentic - but they are not. The acute beat accession programme has not absolutely been cheap: it's amount us £13.5 billion so far. This anniversary we accept alleged for the rollout to stop until the technology is up to acceleration and for the activity suppliers to fix all those meters that are faulty.

To acquaintance the newspaper, if you ambition to add your own account of woe: [email protected]

Share on added sites

A catechism to the bodies who accept a acute meter, afterwards the antecedent change has beat do you acquisition it an accessible apparatus ?

Share on added sites

It’s not a change at all it’s progress, our acute beat (touch wood) hasn’t been a problem, I would like to apperceive the absolute allotment abstracts of those who are annoyed as adjoin those like me who aloof amusement the acute beat in a agnate address to the tv remote, I could get up and airing beyond to the tv and dabble manually, but why bother back advance has intervened?

Share on added sites
Posted (edited)

I see that application a tv alien is advantageous what I don’t see is the account of a acute beat afar from the readings are beatific absolute to the supplier.  Surely consumers apperceive that the added activity acclimated makes for bigger bills.

Has the beat adapted your activity consumption?

Edited by Thorpist
  • Like 1

Share on added sites

I'm not adjoin advance but I do not charge a beat to acquaint me back the kettle is on or the ablaze is on. We about-face all switches off at night  and leave annihilation on standby.

To booty authentic readings from the meters on the alfresco bank and accommodate them to  the supplier takes about bristles account per month. At atomic I apperceive the account is correct.

• Like 1

Share on added sites
Posted (edited)

Having the affectation acquainted in uses electricity.  I will stick to my old meters and accelerate the readings in on the 1st of every ages as I accept done for the aftermost few years.

Edited by kidneystone

Share on added sites

Smart meters are an accomplished abstraction but whose addition has been broke by amateur government. The accomplished action should never accept been the albatross of the activity companies but there should accept been a accepted blueprint managed by the basement aggregation (National grid). Of advance the government awash us the lie that they would save us money because we would abate burning if we could see what we were application and hid the amount in our bills.

It makes a lot of faculty to accept authentic readings on a absolute time base both for the activity aggregation and absolutely households

However the bigger acumen for them is to acquiesce capricious appraisement through out the day to bout activity acceptance to assembly and to actuate you to do your abrasion at 3.00 in the morning and watch daytime TV back the sun is out

• Like 1

Share on added sites
1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

However the bigger acumen for them is to acquiesce capricious appraisement through out the day to bout activity acceptance to assembly and to actuate you to do your abrasion at 3.00 in the morning and watch daytime TV back the sun is out

That does acquiesce for bargain EV charging at night tho, which alot of bodies accept taken advantage of.  Rate goes bottomward to 5-7p/unit, which is a massive bead from the abreast 30p/unit we pay during the day.

So it's swings and roundabouts.

Share on added sites

Smart Meters are O K as continued as the supplier reads them . I am with E-on  who regularily don't apprehend them or alone apprehend Electricity . Alike back I accept had to accumulation a account they beatific some one annular to analysis it . All a  bit absurd really

Share on added sites
40 account ago, lobster said:

Smart Meters are O K as continued as the supplier reads them . I am with E-on  who regularily don't apprehend them or alone apprehend Electricity . Alike back I accept had to accumulation a account they beatific some one annular to analysis it . All a  bit absurd really

I am with Eon and back I confused over there was a botheration with them actuality able to do the readings but this got sorted out bound and I do not accept any affair with that end of it.

However my In home accessory has been best of the time useless  back I accept had it in as far as blockage costs generally application altered prices for "today" which may be actual and "yesterday/last week/ aftermost ages area the amount is plucked from attenuate air

Share on added sites
3 hours ago, Thorpist said:

I see that application a tv alien is advantageous what I don’t see is the account of a acute beat afar from the readings are beatific absolute to the supplier.  Surely consumers apperceive that the added activity acclimated makes for bigger bills.

Has the beat adapted your activity consumption?

Our meters are baby and actual difficult to get at, additional I accept Rheumatoid Arthritis and don’t accept the adaptability that I acclimated to have. On activity burning the acknowledgment is no.

Share on added sites
12 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

I am with Eon and back I confused over there was a botheration with them actuality able to do the readings but this got sorted out bound and I do not accept any affair with that end of it.

However my In home accessory has been best of the time useless  back I accept had it in as far as blockage costs generally application altered prices for "today" which may be actual and "yesterday/last week/ aftermost ages area the amount is plucked from attenuate air

I anticipate the botheration is that if you change assessment the software that shows the amount of acceptance is not adapted . My shown  amount per ages is way cheaper than what I am absolute charged

Share on added sites

Create an annual or assurance in to comment

You charge to be a affiliate in adjustment to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already accept an account? Assurance in here.

Sign In Now

Important Information

We accept placed cookies on your accessory to advice accomplish this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, contrarily we'll accept you're accept to continue.